Home Remedies for Snoring
Are you snoring so loud that you keep everyone in the house awake? There may be different reasons for your snoring, and it is really something that you shouldn’t just ignore. Here are a few tips you can try at home so that you can stop snoring!
How can I stop snoring?
Read on for some insight on why you may snore, and some tips on what you can do about it:
1. Don’t drink alcohol too soon before you go to bed. Alcohol relaxes the throat muscles, which causes snoring. Drink your final night-cap about 2 hours before bed.
2. If you are taking a prescription medication, it might be contributing to your snoring. Ask your doctor if your medication might be making you snore and what you can do about it.
3. Avoid sedatives and sleeping pills. You may be taking these because your snoring is making it hard for you to sleep, but they can actually cause snoring! They relax the muscles in the throat, which can interfere with your breathing, which leads to snoring.
4. Lose weight. Even just losing a few pounds might help; being overweight can increase the amount of fatty tissue you have at the back of your throat, which can cause snoring.
5. Don’t eat a big meal right before bed. A full stomach can push against your diaphragm, which can interfere with your breathing.
6. Treat your allergies. Besides being generally annoying, allergies can make your nose congested so that you have to breathe through your mouth, which leads to snoring.
7. Stop smoking. Smoking can create all kinds of havoc with your respiratory system, and it also irritates the membranes in the nose and throat. This can reduce the size of the airways, which causes snoring.
8. Watch what you eat before bed. Certain foods, like dairy, can contribute to blocked airways and lead to snoring.
If home remedies just aren’t helping, it may be time to see a doctor. Snoring can indicate that you have a serious health problem. Call Lakeside Allergy ENT for an appointment today. Contact the office in Rockwall and Forney at (972) 771-5443!