Hearing Loss Treatment in Rockwall, Forney, & Wylie
The Hearing Center at Lakeside Allergy ENT is home to the top audiologists and hearing loss doctors in Texas. We perform hearing evaluations, treat hearing loss and tinnitus, and dispense hearing aids. Patients have access to our audiology services at all three of our Texas practice locations – Rockwall, Wylie and Forney TX. We offer a wide range of hearing loss treatments, including hearing aids, and surgical procedures.
Book a hearing loss appointment today using the form on this page, or learn more about our hearing loss treatments below.
What is hearing loss?
It is typical to experience gradual hearing loss as you age. About 25 percent of people between 55 and 64 have some degree of hearing loss and the number of people over 65 with some hearing loss is almost 1 in 2. Some types of hearing loss may be caused by a blockage or trauma.
Lakeside Allergy ENT’s Hearing Center is home to an experienced team of hearing loss specialists who can provide treatment to improve your hearing – whether your hearing loss is gradual or sudden, whether it’s caused by age, disease, or accident.
What causes hearing loss?
There are various possible causes of hearing loss, which include:
- Long-term exposure to loud noises
- One-time exposure to one explosive noise
- Ear infections
- Ruptured eardrum
- Damage to the inner ear
- Birth defects
- Family history of hearing loss
- Medications that can harm the hearing system
- Certain diseases
What are the symptoms of hearing loss?
The signs of hearing loss can be subtle and emerge slowly, or they can be significant and come on suddenly. Either way, there are some common indications. You should suspect hearing loss if you experience any of the signs below.
- Require frequent repetition
- Have difficulty following conversations involving more than 2 people
- Think that other people sound muffled or like they are mumbling
- Have difficulty hearing in noisy situations, like conferences, restaurants, malls, or crowded meeting rooms
- Have trouble understanding children and women
- Have your TV or radio turned up to a high volume
- Answer or respond inappropriately to conversations
- Experience ringing in your ears (tinnitus)
- Read lips or more intently watch people’s faces when they speak to you
- Feel stressed out from straining to hear what others are saying
- Feel annoyed at other people because you can’t hear or understand them
- Feel embarrassed to meet new people or from misunderstanding what others are saying
- Feel nervous about trying to hear and understand
- Withdraw from social situations that you once enjoyed because of difficulty hearing
- Have a family history of hearing loss
- Take medications that can harm the hearing system (ototoxic drugs)
- Have diabetes, heart, circulation, or thyroid problems
- Have been exposed to very loud sounds over a long period or single exposure to explosive noise
How is hearing loss treated?
There are a number of types of hearing loss treatment, depending on the cause and severity of your hearing loss. The first step to determining the most appropriate type of hearing treatment for your needs is to schedule a hearing evaluation with the audiologists at Lakeside Allergy ENT. Once our hearing loss specialists determine the underlying cause of your condition, various treatment options can be considered.
Some hearing loss treatments include:
- Removing wax blockage – A build-up of earwax is a reversible cause of hearing loss. Earwax is removed by loosening it with oil and then flushing, scooping, or suctioning out the softened wax.
- Surgical procedures – Surgery may be necessary if you’ve had a traumatic ear injury or repeated ear infections that require the insertion of small tubes that help the ears drain.
- Hearing aids – If your hearing loss is due to damage to your inner ear, a hearing aid may help significantly. The hearing loss doctors at Lakeside Allergy ENT can discuss with you the potential benefits of using a hearing aid, recommend the appropriate type of device, and fit the device for you.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
If you or a loved one is experiencing any symptoms of hearing loss or would like to learn more about the audiology services at Lakeside Allergy ENT, call our office at 972-771-5443 or get started by requesting an appointment with our hearing loss doctors using the form on this page.