Acute & Chronic Sinusitis Treatment in Rockwall, Forney & Wylie
What is sinusitis?
The sinuses are air-filled spaces located behind your forehead, nose, cheeks, and between your eyes. Each sinus cavity has a small opening that allows mucus to drain into the nasal passages. But when the lining of one or more sinus cavities becomes inflamed with a condition called sinusitis, the swelling and increased mucus production prevent normal drainage. Sinusitis is also known as a sinus infection.
Acute sinusitis may be caused by a virus or bacteria, has a rapid onset and lasts for four weeks or less. If it comes back 4 or more times a year, it is called recurrent acute sinusitis.
Chronic sinusitis involves symptoms that persist for 12 weeks or more. It is one of the most common chronic diseases, affecting 14% to 16% of the adult population in the United States.
How does Lakeside Allergy ENT treat acute and chronic sinusitis?
Lakeside Allergy ENT is home to the top otolaryngologists in Texas who specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, and surgery of all ear, nose, and throat disorders, including acute and chronic sinusitis. We provide the best sinusitis treatment for patients of all ages at our three convenient locations in Rockwall, Forney, and Wylie TX.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed below, you may have sinusitis (sinus infection). Our board-certified otolaryngologists will first diagnose your condition and then suggest sinusitis treatment options, which include conservative treatments such as medication and decongestant sprays, and advanced treatments and surgeries such as functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) and balloon sinuplasty.
Request a sinus infection appointment today using the form on this page, or learn more about acute and chronic sinusitis and our treatment options below.
What causes acute/chronic sinusitis?
Sinusitis can be triggered by a number of possible causes or factors, including:
- Bacterial infection
- Fungal infection
- Viral infection
- Allergic rhinitis
- Naturally small sinus openings
- A deviated septum that blocks or narrows sinus openings
- Nasal polyps that block the nasal passages or sinuses
What are the symptoms of acute/chronic sinusitis?
Sinusitis may cause or coincide with other symptoms including:
- Facial pain and pressure
- Tenderness and swelling around the eyes, cheeks, nose, and forehead
- Nasal congestion
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Reduced sense of smell or taste
- Post-nasal drip
- Nasal polyps
- Yellow or green mucus discharge
- Pain in teeth
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
- Snoring and sleep problems
What are my acute/chronic sinusitis treatment options?
Most cases of sinusitis can be effectively treated with conservative options unless there is some complication due to a delay in treatment or underlying anatomical problems. Both acute sinusitis treatment and chronic sinusitis treatment will involve conservative therapy before advanced or surgical treatments.
Conservative Sinusitis Treatment
Sinus infections may be cured with non-surgical treatments and medication including:
- Antibiotics – The standard treatment for bacterial sinusitis, antibiotic prescription drugs may be prescribed for several days to several weeks.
- Nasal decongestant sprays – Both over-the-counter and prescription nasal sprays may be recommended to help shrink swollen nasal passages and ease drainage. This sinusitis treatment is not to be used for more than a few days, as it can actually worsen congestion with prolonged use.
- Antihistamines – Antihistamines may be recommended to treat sinusitis and nasal inflammation caused by an allergic reaction. Antihistamines help stop itching, sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes.
- Topical nasal corticosteroids – Prescription steroid sprays for the nose may be recommended as sinusitis treatment to help reduce inflammation and swelling in the nasal passages and sinus openings.
- Nasal saline washes and sprays – Nasal solutions can be a very effective at-home treatment for sinusitis. These help clear thickened secretions from the nose by washing and irrigating the nasal passages.
Chronic Sinusitis Surgery
When symptoms of sinusitis are persistent and are not responding to conservative sinusitis treatments, surgical treatment for chronic sinusitis may be recommended. At Lakeside Allergy ENT, we offer the best minimally invasive chronic sinusitis treatments.
Our practice specializes in performing patient-customized procedures that deliver long-term relief, including:
Lakeside Allergy ENT is home to three board-certified otolaryngologists who specialize in diagnosis and treatment of all ear, nose, and throat related disorders, including sinus infections and chronic sinusitis. Sinus infection treatment requires expert care. If you have any of the symptoms of sinusitis, call our office at 972-771-5443 or get started by requesting an appointment using the form on this page.